In order to help us understand how to assemble a game using existing game mechanics, we were instructed, in teams, to choose three board games, decipher which Mechanics each of the games contained, and assemble a new board game using only the mechanics available in those three games. The games that our team selected were:
Cleudo – A murder mystery game where the players are given small snippets of information and have to figure out who the killer is, where the murder was committed, and what weapon was used to commit the murder.
Trivial Pursuit (Genius Edition) – A game where the players compete to get around to board by answering a selection of general knowledge questions. The genius edition contains extremely difficult questions.
Dominos – The aim of a game of Dominos is to keep placing tiles down until one of the two players is unable to place down any more tiles.
These games gave us a selection of game mechanics which to use in our new game. These mechanics were: Cascading Information, Productivity, Progression, and Lottery.
We decided to use several items from the games to make our new game. We used the questions from the Trivial Pursuit game, The dice from Cleudo, and the Dominos to make an entirely new game using the progression, Productivity, and Progression Mechanics from the other games.
The aim of our game was to build the longest string of dominos before all of the dominos were gone. A player gained dominos by correctly answering a general knowledge question, selected from a card by rolling a dice. Theoretically, the game could have any number of players above two, as it is possible to buy more dominos.
In order to present our games, we had to give them over to the other teams to test.
The new game we played was a version of Monopoly that was set in space. Whilst it was an interesting version of Monopoly, it wasn’t technically a new game, since it didn’t include any elements from other games, and, in fact, had some of the regular elements missing. Some of the instructions were also a little confusing, and several of the planet property cards were incomplete. However, our group had a fun time playing it and trying to figure out the rules.